Housing Insurance Coverage

When something goes wrong in your housing situation, it is easy to assume your insurance policy will take care of it. However, dealing with your housing insurance company can be complicated. Much depends on the type of policy and property you own.


Following a new home construction or extensive renovations, you may come to discover that the contractors or builders did not live up to their obligations. Perhaps they did a sloppy job, leading to moisture incursion, drainage problems, toxic mold infestations or construction defects.

A major consideration is whether your homeowners’ or hazard insurance policy will cover the loss. Exclusions for certain types of damage — such as mold — are common. Additionally, specific provisions may limit the scope of coverage. In navigating this issue, much hinges on the terms of your policy and the specific circumstances at play. At The Law Offices of John S. Wessler, we have experience in navigating the law of insurance coverage. Our attorneys can help you sort through these complexities.

Condominium Owners

Insurance issues become even more complicated for condominium owners. The key question is which policy will cover your losses — your individual unit policy or the master policy held by the condominium association? Master policies are not always the same. They can differ significantly in the scope of their coverage. At The Law Offices of John S. Wessler, we help determine the reach of coverage in the various insurance policies that may apply to a loss.


While property owners’ insurance policies cover the housing structure itself, those policies generally do not cover damage to tenants’ personal property. Increasingly, tenants are securing their own renters’ insurance policies to protect their belongings. Like other types of housing insurance policies, though, determining the scope of coverage for property damage claims can be challenging.

Decades Of Experience Navigating Complex Housing Insurance Policies

For experienced legal guidance in navigating any type of housing insurance coverage issue, contact the attorneys at The Law Offices of John S. Wessler in South Lawrence, Massachusetts. Our firm is passionate about protecting the rights of homeowners, condo owners and tenants. With nearly 60 years of combined experience, our lawyers have extensive legal knowledge in this area. We can analyze the scope of your policy and assist you in proceeding with your claim.

Free Phone Consultation | Hablamos Español

We invite you to discuss your situation with one of our lawyers during a free initial consultation. Call 978-689-3806 to arrange an appointment